My colleague, Kathi Bloy, is our area specialist in assisting job seekers in creating and crafting their resumes. Given the rapid changes in hiring practices, she is seeking feedback from current HR professionals to ensure that the information we are sharing reflects current best practices.
Kathi is seeking industry pros who would be willing to sit down with her at the Menasha Job Center to share their experience. Here are the meeting dates and times:
Mon. Oct. 9 – 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Fri. Oct. 13 – 9 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Mon. Oct. 16 – 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
If a Fox Valley SHRM member would like to provide feedback, but is unable to attend on any of the above dates, I have attached a list of the questions to this message below
Please have members RSVP/return the file to: Kathleen.Bloy@dwd.wisconsin.gov
I greatly appreciate the membership's willingness to provide this insight.
Staying in Step – What do you look for in resumes?
- 1. What exactly do you want to see/are you looking for on a resume?
- 2. If you use an Applicant Tracking system (ATS), is there a particular format (or no formatting) that works best? Are you able to see an uploaded resume in whole if the ATS also parses it?
- 3. Is there a specific time frame of experience you'd like to see on resumes? 10-15 years? More?
- 4. How many pages are appropriate for a resume? Does it depend on the position applied for?
- 5. Do you prefer to see an objective or a summary detailing what a jobseeker has to offer?
- 6. Do you want to see education, even if it stops at a high school diploma?
- 7. Is tasteful, sparing use of color a good thing? Any reason you wouldn't want to see color?
- 8. What about the recent trend we've noticed of using lowercase for name and headings? Like it? Dislike it? Don't care?
- 9. Should a jobseeker ever include interests/hobbies? When are they appropriate?
- 10. Do you prefer months/years on employment history, or just years? How do you react when there are no dates?
- 11. Is it ever appropriate to include a photo of the jobseeker? What about graphics, icons pointing you to Phone Number, Email address, etc.?
- 12. For in-person sessions, I'd like to show two resume samples and discover whether one format is more appealing and if so, why? I can make the two samples available by email for those unable to attend an in-person session.